Friday, February 24, 2012

February Baby Quilt

My sister emailed me requesting a baby quilt for a friend who is due in March. My sister's one request/demand was "don't make it all pink." Nothing like a little notice. 

Well it gave me a reason to make a pattern I saw and loved in the April issue of American Patchwork & Quilting called "Sticks and Bricks".  I planned to downsize it for a baby and used the yardage for the color option they gave which is a perfect size.

The toughest thing was finding enough large scale prints that worked color-wise. Found tons of nice prints that tended to read as solids from a distance.  So I cut up everything that had potential and started playing with the layout.  This is the finished top:

Baby Quilt Top 02-24-12

Now to quilt it.  I've decided to machine quilt it as it needs to be done fairly quickly.  I'm thinking straight lines as I'm still a novice at machine quilting.  Now off to shovel some more snow that was dumped on mid-Michigan today.

No comments:

Post a Comment